Call for Nominations | NEU / NOW FESTIVAL
The European League of Institutes of the Arts (ELIA) is pleased to announce the fourth NEU/NOW Festival, presenting the most exciting and creative NEU artistic talent NOW emerging across Europe and beyond.
Deadline: 31 January 2012
What is the NEU/NOW Festival?
The NEU/NOW Festival is an innovative international platform for talented graduating artists (or those who have recently graduated) – coming out of Higher Arts Education Institutions and Universities across Europe and beyond – to present themselves to a wider international audience within a professional arts context. The Festival features the most excellent new artists now entering the professional arts arenas and is an international showcase for emerging creative talent.
The NEU/NOW Festival is:
- an online and a live event that promotes artistic excellence through
cutting edge presentations and activities;
- an opportunity for selected emerging artists to show their work, meet each
other and create new international partnerships;
- a space where informed audiences, producers and curators can see the
most excellent artists and innovative projects coming from art schools and
universities across Europe and beyond;
- a forum where artists, producers, curators, cultural operators and policy
makers can discuss future developments in the arts and share views on the
cultural role of higher arts education institutions;
- a means of presenting a new international generation of upcoming artists
to the attention of a wide audience.
From the nominated projects, a maximum of 150 projects across all the categories will be presented online at www.neunow.com, which is widely accessible to arts professionals and public alike.
A selection of projects will be presented in the NEU/NOW LIVE Festival 2012 that will take place 11 – 15 July in Porto, Portugal.
Simultaneously with the NEU/NOW LIVE Festival in Porto, the ELIA Teachers’ Academy will be organised with approximately 120 art teachers participating from all over Europe. Presentations, discussions and events of the NEU/NOW LIVE Festival will be integrated in the programme of the Teachers’ Academy.
Who can participate in the NEU/NOW festival?
The NEU/NOW online Festival is open to graduating arts students and recent graduates (within one year of graduation) of Higher Arts Institutions and Universities which are ELIA members, ELIA associate members or ELIA non-European members.
Students (as individuals or groups) are nominated, by their institution, within one of the following five broad categories:
- Visual Arts
Member institutions may nominate student/graduate entries in all five categories listed above.
The LIVE festival will take place in both indoor spaces and outdoor locations. Therefore, nominations for work, in any of the above categories, intended to be shown in outdoor settings and public spaces are particularly welcomed.
How to apply to be part of the NEU/NOW Festival?
Nominations must be submitted by the institution online and include:
- a short description of the project,
- an artistic statement suitable for publication (max. 250 words) by the artist,
- a statement why the project has been nominated by the institution,
- technical requirements and set-up time,
- nominated work: photos (max.15), a video (max. length of 5 min.) or sound
material (max. length of 5 min.),
- either the full video or full sound material of submitted work or
How will entries be selected?
An international judging panel of experts, in each of the six categories, will have been selected. Each of the judging panels will choose work on the basis of the following criteria:
- engages with, and makes a bold contribution to, leading edge practice in
the international field of the discipline;
- demonstrates clear potential as work that is likely to achieve a good
professional standard of presentation;
- is likely to stimulate the interest of promoters, curators, festival organizers
and/or producers working in the professional field of the discipline;
- is suitable for presentation and likely to stimulate the interest of an
- together with the other work selected within the discipline, contributes to
the presentation of a diverse range within the category.
Selecting work for NEU/NOW LIVE Festival
From the selection of work of the online Festival, a number of projects will be presented in the NEU/NOW LIVE Festival which will take place 11 – 15 July 2012 in Porto, Portugal.
Will there be financial support for those works selected for the LIVE Festival?
Each of the works selected from ELIA members for presentation in the programme of the NEU/NOW LIVE Festival will be eligible for a grant towards the costs associated with presenting the work in Porto. The nominating institution must agree to meet any costs associated with specific works that are not met by the ELIA grant.
NEU/NOW LIVE Porto is realized in the frame of the project NE©XT, NEW EUROPEAN CREATIVE TALENT, supported by DG Education and Culture, European Commission and coordinated by the University of Winchester, UK in partnership with ESMAE, School of Music, Art and Performance, Polytechnic of Porto, Portugal, Bergen National Academy of the Arts, Norway, the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre, Estonia, and the European League of Institutes of the Arts – ELIA.
Deadline: 31 January 2012
More Info: http://www.neunow.com/